So, dear reader of HTBS, how many of the ‘famous’ Swedes did you know or recognise? The quiz was a mix of film actresses, writers, pop stars, sport stars, celebrities, a diplomat, a ‘Royal Hotness’, an innovator, a singer. Was it difficult? I guess some of these persons could be tricky. Here are the right answers:
1) ABBA, pop group, Björn Ulvaeus (1945-), Agnetha Fältskog (1950-), Anni-Frid ‘Frida’ Lyngstad (1945-) and Benny Andersson (1946-)
2) Greta Garbo (1905-1990), film actress
3) Björn Borg (1956-), tennis player
4) Ingrid Bergman (1915-1982), film actress
5) Ingmar Bergman (1918-2007), writer, director, producer
6) Madeleine (1982-), Princess
7) Alfred Nobel (1833-1896), engineer, innovator
8) Pippi Longstocking, the world strongest girl, fictional character created by Astrid Lindgren (1907-2002). The monkey’s Swedish name is Herr Nilsson (Mr. Nilsson)
9) August Strindberg (1849-1912), playwright, novelist
10) Noomi Rapace (1979-), film actress, who played Lisbeth Salander
11) Zlatan Ibrahimovic (1981-), football [soccer] player
12) Jenny Lind (1820-1887) ‘The Swedish Nightingale’, opera singer
13) Dag Hammarskjöld (1905-1960), diplomat, UN Secretary-General
14) Victoria Silverstedt (1974-), model, ‘film actress’
I received an e-mail yesterday from Australian rowing historian Louis Petrin, who had nailed all the answers, including Herr Nilsson, and for that he gets an extra point. Well done, Louis, I am very impressed!
12 correct answers or more: regard yourself an ‘Honorary Swede’
9 – 11 correct answers: very good
6 – 8 correct answers: good
4 – 5 correct answers: a little bad
2 – 3 correct answers: well, ehh… poor (surely, you can do better…)
0 – 1 correct answer: you don’t like Swedes, do you?
thanks for sharing.
I am happy to hear that you liked it!
With regards to famous Swede's there is a photograph of the City Orient 8 racing in the Head of the River in 1978, in the photograph of the crew at the catch the bow/stroke side blades spell ABBA due to sponsorship by the group.