The following is a comment which was made to an old entry, but as it is not likely to be read where it ended up, and it is an interesting question, it get its on little post:
A friend of the club has just pointed out that Sons of the Thames were listed as third in the Town Challenge Cup of 1850. They have Wallingford against their name. We think of our history as dating from 1886. Does anyone know if the name was used as a descriptive term or is it likely to refer to the club? We are slowly pulling together some photos and stories from the past at www.sonsrowing.com/history
See also here.